Thursday, April 26, 2007

Nothing to Do

An air-conditioned room when the temperature outside is around 40 and steadily increasing. A 24- hour internet connection (with the interesting sites blocked off course). An entire cubicle to call my own, along with drawers which I can never fill. A salary too for the two months I am here. The only thing missing is work, something I didn’t think I would miss so badly.
I am back in Wipro again. For summer training this time. Nothing really seems to have changed. I have been saddled with a vague project that nobody including my guide seems to have a clue about. No attendance, no one to check on me, stretchable schedules and six cafeterias on campus. Life should be good.
It’s not unfortunately. I am bored out of my wits. All around me people seem to be working frantically all day. I am tired of surfing the net, especially because all the sites I really want to see are all blocked – yahoo mail, gmail and orkut. This should be the perfect time to churn out those pages on the blog.
But I am a strange creature. I have this overpowering urge to write only when I don’t really have the time to, especially during my end term exams. And the rest of the time, a terrible inertia settles, making any occupation other than sleeping really difficult. And after a time, sleeping in office gets really embarrassing. So churning seems to be my only option now.
Why do all IT companies go on this hiring spree, with no idea really where to place the new hires? Wipro this year recruited around 180 summer interns from b-schools across the country. And most seem to be in the same sad state I am in - with guides who are too busy to take time off, or irritated with the obligation they have been saddled with, and most are actually wondering what they are doing in the organization. Not the best way to encourage people to join them after the course I should think.
Time for my second coffee break. The tale of woes will continue….

2 comments:

Bhavesh said...

Welcome to the club of jobless Wipro-ites!

MBA, Engineers , no matter who, they are all the same in the end in huge companies like ours. Just a resource who needs to be "allocated". Not human beings, not people who can make a difference, just another resource for another manager for another Resource Allocator..

This is the case with any IT company around India including good old wipro!

Prashanth said...

hey!

nice to know you can do all these things in your office on pay. its like a rich girl joining her dad's company. nobody is going to give her work unless she takes it. i think we will bitch either way - a company which has daily reveiws and a company which has none.

I guess its important that we forget that its nothing these circumstances can do if we really want to do something with our time. what we(here means all the jobless highly or not so highly paid coolies) lack is vision....vision of what we want to do with our intern time, what we want to with our campus time, what we want to with our bench time, what we want to do in our times so we can see the world the way way always wanted it.