Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I am very sorry. I understand your situation. But the rules say you can't"

Six days separate us

23 years brought us together

My cousin. My friend. My sister.

Twenty three years

Of happiness and tears

Of dreams and fears

New discoveries

Adventures together


You were always the brave one.

The first to do something

I always followed. Hesitantly. But I did

The first to ride a cycle. Then the kinetic.

The first to go to hostel. The first to talk to boys.

The first to travel alone. To go out with friends.

To have fun. To cry your heart out. To get angry.

The first to break rules.

To do things that I could never have dreamed of.

To live.


I was the quiet one.

Immersed in my books.

Always followed the rules.


And now these rules.

Come back at me.

I miss the most important moment in your life.


“ I am very sorry but you can’t go to your sisters wedding.

The rues don’t allow it”

Why do people hide behind rules when they have to make a decision?

Why are rules always right and people always wrong?

3 comments:

Kat said...

Reminds me….

Not only rules… even targets.

Two decades ago, my boss quivered in shock seeing the name printed in the wedding invitation and hearing a request for week’s leave. The name in card was mine…

He looked at me in horror – how could you indulge in such things… wouldn’t the company’s sales graph plunge, profits sink and market share go for a toss..!!!

Got wed on Friday the 13th - sat n sun were company holidays.. and on Monday morn was at office desk.

To date – as a boss, have always granted leave to the extent asked by any of my subordinates… for movie going, for their wedding, for attending weddings :-) I find people have only used and not misused the trust and understanding.

There are people Dachu, with a different set of rules :-))))) when you’re a boss, do remember to have your own..!!!!

Priyadarshini said...

Thanks for that Uncle.. I guess your troubles were much greater than mine.
:))
You might have actually ended up missing your own wedding ;))

Kat said...

Jus' drew a bigger line next to yours, so that you feel consoled :-)))

True... my Manager would've preferred that... one look at my angry 'Shrek'y face... think he conceded a day's leave :-D